Student Scholarships awarded by NFB of Oregon
Each year at its State Convention in the fall, the National Federation of the Blind of Oregon (NFB of Oregon) awards several scholarships to recognize achievement by blind scholars. In 2023 up to four scholarships at a minimum of $3,000 each will be awarded. These may include the Joseph E. Weston scholarship and the Len Hannon Scholarship, (named for a former leader in the Oregon State Legislature, and friend of the NFB of Oregon) may be awarded to an individual who has been a scholarship winner in the past and continues to make a difference in the lives of blind people.
NFB of Oregon Student Scholarships are funded in part by the Lillian S. Edelstein Trust.
When to apply:
Application deadline for 2023 is June 30, 2023.
How to apply:
Online or download the .pdf file, send it as an email attachment to Carla McQuillan or send it by postal mail. (The mailing address is at the bottom of the printed scholarship application.)
Oregon scholarship submission checklist
Applicants should apply again if they don't win on their first attempt. We often award to applicants on their second or third try. Applicants can win scholarships twice, so please try again after you have won in a previous year.
The following requirements apply to all NFB of Oregon Student Scholarship applicants:
- Must be 18 years of age by October 1, 2023.
- Legally blind in both eyes.
- Must be in residence in Oregon attending an institution of higher learning.
Course of Study
- Must be pursuing or planning to pursue a full-time, postsecondary course of study in a degree program at an Oregon based institution for the current scholastic year. One scholarship may be given to a person employed full-time while attending school part-time.
NFB of Oregon Participation
- In addition to a scholarship, each winner will be brought to the NFB of Oregon State Convention at NFB of Oregon expense, providing an excellent opportunity for high level networking with active blind persons in many different professions and occupations.
- Must participate in the entire NFB of Oregon State Convention and in all scheduled scholarship program activities.
- We require that you attend a local chapter or state division meeting before attending our state convention as a scholarship winner. This allows winners to get to know a few people before attending and will make the weekend go much smoother and be more enjoyable if you are introduced to state convention activities by someone you have gotten to know prior to the convention.
All scholarship application supporting materials must be received not later than June 30, 2023. Scholarship application, personal latter, letters or recommendation, transcripts, university or college entrance exam results and letter of acceptance, certification of legal blindness. See Oregon scholarship submission checklist for details.
Supporting documents may be send it as an email attachment to Carla McQuillan or send it by postal mail.
of Oregon. Since 1971, an affiliate of the National Federation of the Blind.
State President Carla McQuillan.
Affiliate office telephone, voice or text, 541.653.9153.
Office hours: Monday through Friday, 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM, pacific time.
Send Carla an email
© 1971 - 2023 National Federation of the Blind of Oregon. All rights reserved.